[TYPO3-v4] Minutes of the 3rd meeting of the 4.7 Release Team

Steffen Gebert steffen.gebert at typo3.org
Mon Dec 12 20:54:33 CET 2011

>> To test it, please apply these four patches:
>
> really? are you kidding? and if I find a problem I stop all 4 because I
> don't know which causes what?

Are *you* kidding? Please keep splitting it up in smaller tasks.
Just that Gerrit is still lacking a "topic review" functionality (all
commits reviewed together), it doesn't mean that one commit should bring
everything.

 > If it works, merge it and bugs are done
> one by one. If it doesn't work, make it start. Sorry but at least I
> don't have the time to do more. I really want to test the new things and
> report bugs or improve those but they need to be included in master and
> not in 4 reviews.

"Merge it, we will fix bugs later" - sounds like old times with EM and
so on - things that are buggy from the beginning and annoy people for
years afterwards as promises are not kept. Same goes (but not so
extreme) for FORM. Susanne did a 10+ hours review, her comments were not
incorporated at all.
No thanks!

I see no chance for just putting the huge patches into Gerrit and
waiting for people to scroll through, apply and click around, and giving
their +1 afterwards. There should be really reviewers, who know the
topic and the big picture of the upcoming changes. So yes, I say that
reviews for BLE should be mainly done by people who were involved in BLE
(not saying that I will not review anything..).

And in general: Big projects (=patches) need better coordination - not
one developer only. Figure out, who is willing to spend time on
reviewing/discussing them and bring author(s) + reviewer (virtually)
together for some hours.

Regarding the "development stalled": Yes, kind a mix of everything
mentioned. I mainly work for server team the last weeks, as I consider
this team even more dead than the core team.

Kind regards
Steffen

--
Steffen Gebert