[TYPO3-v4] Personal names and fields in TYPO3

Martin Kutschker masi-no at spam-typo3.org
Tue Aug 23 14:32:02 CEST 2011

Am 14.08.2011 20:47, schrieb Jigal van Hemert:
> Hi,
>
> One of Xavier's (re)tweets brought an interesting article to my attention [1].
>
> After reading this article it seems we need a completely different setup for personal names:

Where? But anyway I agree that a simple "name" field or even a "first/last name" pair of fields is
adequate only for simple use cases.

> - full name (How should we address you in direct communication?)

Like "Dear Mr. Robertson" (letter) or like "Mr. Peter Robertson" (postal address)?

> - sorting name (Which part(s) of your name should be used for sorting?)

This is really useful for maintenance. Should have been in tt_address years ago.

> - formal name (Your name if it's displayed in a formal context)
> - informal name (Your name if it's displayed in an informal context)
> - preferred context (Do you prefer formal or informal form of your name?)

I think it really depend on the application if there is a need for this kind of detail.

Masi