[TYPO3-v4] Git submodules or not?

Peter Niederlag typo3-list at niekom.de
Mon Aug 22 14:21:14 CEST 2011

Hello,

Am 22.08.2011 13:47, schrieb Jigal van Hemert:
> Hi,
>
> On 22-8-2011 11:32, Christian Kuhn wrote:
>> I'm working with the 'Multiple Branch Setup', so I have one directory
>> per major version. This way I do not need to switch between master and
>> 4.4 checkout or something like that. This avoids lots of submodule
>> problems.
>
> According to our wiki this is unfortunately not possible for Windows
> users :-(
> A Multiple Branch Setup is actually one of the things I miss from SVN.

Where does it say this would not be possible?

It is of course possible everywhere! ;)

Only thing probably not that easy on windows is to do it in a
optimal/most efficient way. On linux it is possible (by symlinks) to
fetch and keep all the objects only once and use that in mutiple working
directories.

Of course you can clone/pull/merge TYPO3v4 Core as often as you want on
windows (as well as everywhere else)!

git clone --recursive #typo3v4core# #dirv4-3#
git clone --recursive #typo3v4core# #dirv4-5#
# cd #dirv4-3# and checkout TYPO3_4-3
# cd #dirv4-5# and checkout TYPO3_4-5

works exactly the same as with svn!
(on linux/with symlinks it can be done more efficiently, saving some MB
of disk space and bandwith)

[...]

Greets and hth,
Peter