[TYPO3-v4] Git submodules or not?

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 22 13:47:51 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 22-8-2011 11:32, Christian Kuhn wrote:
> I'm working with the 'Multiple Branch Setup', so I have one directory
> per major version. This way I do not need to switch between master and
> 4.4 checkout or something like that. This avoids lots of submodule
> problems.

According to our wiki this is unfortunately not possible for Windows
users :-(
A Multiple Branch Setup is actually one of the things I miss from SVN.

> For me, this works pretty well. If we wouldn't use submodules, I'd have
> to checkout the module to typo3conf/ext (to not pollute core checkout),

Ah! I assumed that they would be part of the core and that the teams
somehow were notified of changes or would have to search for
modifications (actually I had no idea, hence my earlier questions).

> So, +1 for submodules from a dev who actually got used to them ;)

Not having submodules sounds even worse than having them :-/

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Jigal van Hemert.