[TYPO3-v4] Git submodules or not?

Peter Niederlag typo3-list at niekom.de
Mon Aug 22 12:23:35 CEST 2011

Hello,

Am 22.08.2011 11:32, schrieb Christian Kuhn:
> Hey,
[...]
> I'm working with the 'Multiple Branch Setup', so I have one directory
> per major version. This way I do not need to switch between master and
> 4.4 checkout or something like that. This avoids lots of submodule
> problems.

 From what I have seen I think almost *all* problems with submodules are
related to flipping the use of submodules on and off (in different
branches and/or over time). That's what causes troubles! If we now
change handling again we would even worsen these problems.

 From my point of view there is "no way back" unless the whole
history/repository is redone.

I'd rather think of really redoing the whole repository/history with
submodule usage from the very beginning. This would be quite some work
though (and we would have to decide which history to keep for the time
it was merged in from an external history)!

[...]

Greets,
Peter
--