[TYPO3-v4] Git submodules or not?

Christian Kuhn lolli at schwarzbu.ch
Mon Aug 22 11:32:13 CEST 2011

Hey,

On 08/22/2011 09:45 AM, Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:
> I'd like to re-open a discussion which we hold some months back, where
> the Core Team decided to go for "submodules" when including external
> team projects into the core (i.e Workspaces, DBAL, Linkvalidator, etc).

I've worked with the submodules now several times and like to talk about
my experience with it:

I'm working with the 'Multiple Branch Setup', so I have one directory
per major version. This way I do not need to switch between master and
4.4 checkout or something like that. This avoids lots of submodule problems.

For the usual workflow:
I've recently created some patches that needed adaption of multiple
submodules as well, and it turned out to be pretty easy and comfortable:
I usually push the main patch for core, then checkout master of a
submodule, create a new branch, do my patch, push it and move on to next
submodule. If all is finished, I go back to core root, checkout master
and 'submodule update' to reset any foo with submodules. In forge, I
connect the issues with a parent-child relation.

For me, this works pretty well. If we wouldn't use submodules, I'd have
to checkout the module to typo3conf/ext (to not pollute core checkout),
would have 'old' submodule versions in core checkout (not nice for grep
and things), will have to move between core path checkout and my
instance ...

In short for me submodules seem to be a time saver at the end, I think
I've been pushing more patches to submodules recently because it is
pretty straight, and not too much work.

So, +1 for submodules from a dev who actually got used to them ;)

Regards
Christian