[TYPO3-v4] [TYPO3-core] Maintain and fix compatibility for headline rendering

Michael Stucki michael.stucki at typo3.org
Fri Aug 12 10:34:39 CEST 2011

Hi all,

Am 10.08.2011 08:19, schrieb Ernesto Baschny [cron IT]:
> A post-fix in 4.5.5 would be a good indicator that the core team does
> care as much as backwards compatibility as for security. This is
> especially important for web hosters (which want to automatically
> upgrade hundrets of installations at once) and bigger agencies (which
> have several dozens installations on customer sites where the side
> effects of this fix would have had to be tested for some time before
> applying the fix in the production site).

That's the point. Francois is right that the patch is out and the damage
has been done already. However, it's important that we improve the
situation when there is a way to improve it.

> I also think that there are people that haven't upgraded yet due to lack
> of time/money to do the proper QA on this particular patch.

Yes. Don't underestimate the size of this group. There are so many
people whom you never hear from, but who would totally disagree about
such changes.

> The problem now is that this post-fix would have to cope with both
> situations: people that have already upgraded and adapted their code,
> and people that haven't.

In the meantime I have come up with an update to Helmuts proposal, which
does the same but doesn't need a new TypoScript property. I did a lot of
testing already and I'm pretty sure this covers all situations, no
matter if you didn't upgrade or if you modified the TS template.

Please take a look at it and test it. And please reconsider if there's
really no need to fix that problem, if it can be fixed.

The patch can be found at https://review.typo3.org/4230

Thanks to Helmut for bringing this into the right direction.

- michael

--
Use a newsreader! Check out