[TYPO3-v4] Moving sysext manuals to DocBook

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Fri Apr 29 10:31:45 CEST 2011

Jigal van Hemert schrieb am 29.04.2011 09:55:
> On 28-4-2011 22:24, François Suter wrote:
>> I wanted to make you aware of a topic that has been mentioned in the
>> documentation mailing list, in relation with the DocBook migration
>> project: it would seem like an excellent opportunity to move the
>> documentation of the sysexts out of the core. They would become part of
>> the global documentation repository, where far more people could
>> contribute to them. Furthermore they would be available online, which is
>> not the case for now.
>>
>> The link to the respective "doc" folders in the EM would be replaced by
>> link to the online version and download of the corresponding PDF.
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone opposed such a good idea ;-)
>
> Not all installations have (unrestricted) access to the internet. I have
> seen organizations where it took many months to get a gateway for TER
> access and some have intranet servers without access to the outside world.
> This makes development already difficult enough, but it would also mean
> that the documentation of sysexts is even harder to access.
>
> Can we take these situations also into account?

If you could get the typo3_src, you can also get the documentation from
the internet. If the typo3_src were burned on a CD, you can also burn
the documentation on the same CD. They are then not accessible through
the link in the EM anymore, but who cares? The guy with such an
restricted environment knows their way around and know where the CD
"with the documentation" is and can get access to the information. This
is a pretty rare situation which already requires lots of "brain" anyway
for the guy working with it (no TER access, no SOAP calls, ...)

+1 to the idea of moving them out of the core!