[TYPO3-v4] Minutes from the 5th meeting of the 4.6 Release Team

Oliver Hader oliver.hader at typo3.org
Mon Apr 18 17:35:48 CEST 2011

Hi dear TYPO3 community,

here are the notes of the 5th meeting of the 4.6 Release Team.

The minutes are also available in the wiki of TYPO3 4.6:
http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v46-projects/wiki/2011-04-11_-_Minutes_from_the_5th_meeting

h1. Minutes from the 5th meeting of the 4.6 Release Team

*April 11th, 2011*

The 4.6 release team meets weekly for a Skype discussion round on the
current activities. If you find this report interesting or have some
comment or question about a particular topic, don't hesitate to
follow-up on the thread in the v4 mailing list.

On Monday, April 11th 2011 we hold our 4th meeting with the following
participants:

* Oliver Hader (Core Team Leader)
* Steffen Kamper (4.5 Technical Leader)
* Ben van't Ende (Community Manager)

Xavier is currently doing his swiss military service for some days and
thus was not able to attend our meeting.

Projects
========

Mass File Uploader
------------------

Christian Müller is going to evaluate the recent new releases of
PlUpload (which was dropped from being part of TYPO3 4.5 due to some
"general flaws" back at that time). Besides that, awesome uploader
(ExtJS based) is another candidate that might be considered in this
area. To have the possibility to easily exchange and chose between
different client implementations, TYPO3 first needs a file upload API as
a basement.
A new project was founded that takes care of these issues [1].

[1] http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v4-fileupload

FORM project
------------

Patrick Broens is on a good track with the FORM project and is looking
forward to have it finished until May 2011. At this time a lot of
reviews and feedback is required and of course highly appreciated [2].

[2] http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v4-form

General issues
==============

Handling and backporting changes for TYPO3 4.5

Since TYPO3 4.5 LTS will be around for several years now, we also talked
about backporting changes from the newer releases like 4.6 to the stable
branch of 4.5.
The backports might introduce new features to the internal API of TYPO3
but in general also fix several misbehaviours. However this will always
be an individual decision of the 4.5 Release Team around Ernesto and
Steffen.

Git/Gerrit
----------

Steffen mentions that the current speed of development is rather slow
and that many reviews are still pending. It seems that people just have
to tackle their own projects and have only little resources left for the
reviews. On the other hand there still might be some people in the
community which have problems setting up the Git/Gerrit environment and
start to work with the new infrastructure.
Besides that, there are some important issues with the new
infrastructure that partly block the workflow, e.g.
* automated merging of subprojects [3]
* separated private repository for the Security Team [4]

To get rid of these problems and make decisions, we aim for a weekly
meeting for the Git/Gerrit task force as well - similar to our weekly
release team meetings.

[3] http://forge.typo3.org/issues/25896
[4] http://forge.typo3.org/issues/13770

Review sessions
---------------

To support the community with questions on reviewing or technical
details we came up with the idea of having more review sessions in
addition to the regular bug days. These sessions shall also be
coordinated in the IRC channel and are open for everyone. We will
discuss that further and announce accordant dates.

BLE project
-----------

The tendering of the BLE project was postponed again for some weeks.
However there's currently nothing that the TYPO3 project can do about
it. It still looks good that this project might happen, but the
available time shrinks step by step.
The BLE project can be considered as a big "sponsored project" (in fact
it's legally different to sponsoring) and concerns basically
accessibility and usability. We aimed to organize code sprints for
several topics once the project was confirmed.

Dates
=====

* TYPO3 4.6 alpha1 on May 10th 2011
* Feature Freeze and TYPO3 4.6 beta1 on August 2nd 2011
   no new features and no exceptions after the feature freeze date
* Final Release of TYPO3 4.6.0 on October 25th 2011

Next steps

If you feel interested in a particular project or task, please reply on
the list or directly get in contact with Xavier Perseguers as Release
Manager of TYPO3 4.6.

Olly
--
Oliver Hader