[TYPO3-v4] TYPO3 4.4 released - easier than ever!

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 07:58:36 CEST 2010

Hi!

François Suter wrote:
> Although I don't feel as strongly as you do, I must say that I agree on
> the principle.

I think those words were added for one of two reasons: (1) just to feel up
the space or (2) to make the introduction less formal.

Both reasons seem more or less legitimate. Different users will feel
differently about getting a coffee. I can speak for myself only but I
generally do not like such statements on demo sites. They are buzz and ave
no value at all for me as for somebody trying to understand if the system
fits me. I come to the site to see what's the system can do and I am asked
to get coffee. This is clearly not my intention when exploring the system.
So it makes instinctive negative emotions.

Instead I would prefer to see a clear explanation what I can do here,
without any buzz words. It is like in "Elements of Style": if you can omit
some words, do omit them, do not write unnecessary chapters, paragraphs,
sentences or words. Just go straight to the topic.

I know it is often hard to go straight to the topic. We are not writers and
we are getting the best that we can. Intro package is great by itself. May
be somebody can improve these text to engage the reader and show something
wonderful already on the first page? I am sure anybody would be happy about
it :) May be some cool facts about TYPO3? For example, could we have an
inspiration from "51 sites you never know run TYPO3"? I am sure examples
like Unesco, Audi, Air France-KLM and Philips would motivate the user more
than a cup of coffee.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 expert / TYPO3 core&security teams member