[TYPO3-v4] Relevance of typo3/index_re.php

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Fri Jul 23 11:08:27 CEST 2010

François Suter schrieb am 01.07.2010 10:34:

> I just came across the typo3/index_re.php script and I'm wondering if it
> is still relevant? Does anyone really use it?
>
> It is supposed to solve some issue about Apache and a missing trailing
> slash, but I'm wondering whether this is still really an issue or not.
> Does anyone know?

The "trailing slash redirect" on directory is handled by apache's module
mod_dir [1]. So if you don't have this module installed and try to access:

http://www.example.com/typo3

You will get either the directory listing or a "Forbidden". So a rewrite
rule is required to handle this. But I also think we can do the redirect
at .htaccess level. Instead of:

  RewriteRule ^typo3$ typo3/index_re.php [L]

Simply (do the redirect via apache instead of a PHP file):

  RewriteRule ^typo3$ typo3/index.php [L,R=301]

The changes from Benni / Rupi were only needed because of a new API for
generating the "Header:". I doubt that there are many Apache
installations without mod_dir enabled.

[1] http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_dir.html