[TYPO3-v4] Deprecation might be to restrictive

Steffen Ritter info at rs-websystems.de
Sun Jul 11 12:07:50 CEST 2010

Am 11.07.2010 11:15, schrieb Steffen Kamper:
> Hi,
>
> with this example [1] i thought about the deprecation log.
> In this case the function t3lib_iconWorks::getIconImage is not used in
> core anymore.
> However i don't think that we should deprecate it, extensions might use
> this function, and we can't expect that all extension authors will use
> sprites for extension. So in my eyes this method is still a valid way to
> get an icon if no sprites are used.
> Don't forget, that all usages from extensions will flood the deprecation
> log. Eg Templavoila doesn't use sprites yet, and this extension is heavy
> in use.
>
> Please share your opinion, thanks.
>
> vg Steffen
>
> [1] http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=14467

I think for exact this reason the deprecationlog is used: messaging
about old stuff in extensions. getIconImage is only for showing record
icons. it works without any extension has to do anything. So there is
nor harm in using it. Using the old one, will result in old icons -->
"broken look and feel".

since get IconImage is only for records Icons i see no harm. Furthermore
there is little change in code needed for getIconImage replement as the
result of get IconImage - in contrary to skinImg - always returned the
whole tag - as getSpriteIconforRecord does, too.
Even the required parameters match, theres only a change if you provided
a title, alt etc attribute.

skinImg would be more critical. So for this very example I think the
deprecation log is made for.

for the TV example: Tolliev is working on a change already.

regards

Steffen