[TYPO3-v4] Highlight extbase extensions

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Tue Aug 17 09:05:04 CEST 2010

Hi,

> Now let me ask one question ;) Could you imagine Kasper requesting to
> highlight web sites made with TemplaVoila because he prefers it to all
> other methods? Would it be fair to all other web sites? I guess not and
> many companies would scream. Same is here. Some people prefer Extbase,
> others prefer lib/div, yet others have their own MVC frameworks and some
> still like pibase.

I think the point is that TER/EM should better have better search
capabilities and have a few bugs fixed:

- Download counter working (yes, yes and yes again!)
- Filter by category (photo gallery, contact-related extension,
frameworks like JS, Zend, ..., goodies such as lightbox, microformat, ...)
- Filter by requirements (I want to search extensions for my current
website which do not have compatibility problem with already installed
and working extensions). Wouldn't it be great to be able to seek for a
lightbox extension whose JS framework is compatible with the one already
in use?
- Filter by last update (I do not want to get extensions that were not
updated since more than 1 year)
- Filter by extension with documentation (would help suggesting
developer to do something complementary to their coding work and really
useful for other people)
- Filter by suggestion, a bit like Amazon "User who installed this
extension are using these too" (I know... :D)
- Let user have a quick access to extensions they use daily ("extensions
I like") and see their development progress
- Have a way to let run a development version of an extension (from
Forge) without having to deal with SVN or special server requirement on
server

I have plenty of other ideas ;-)

> I think that Extbase must compete equally with others and win its place in
> developer's heart by equal competition, not by advertisement and forceful
> promotion. That would be fair, wouldn't it? :)

For sure ;-)

> For now it would be good if Extbase fans make good docs, howtos, intros,
> showcases, etc. That would be much better than highlighting extensions. If
> Extbase wants to win, it must show that it is better. Forcing it will cause
> the opposite reaction. Nothing goes well if it is forced on people.

I agree.

Xavier