[TYPO3-v4] Highlight extbase extensions

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Tue Aug 17 09:51:11 CEST 2010

Hi Dmitry,

There are two things here:
> - "once it has been released", which is how soon? ;)
> - "migrate to TYPO3 5.0" and you know that in real world people will not
> migrate old sites to the totally new system because it is simply not
> possible but will require a complete site rebuilt. It is like migrating
> from Druapl to TYPO3: you can't migrate, you have to rebuild. Same with v4
> to v5.

It probably depends on the point of view whether reusing code and content is
migration or not. Indeed it doesn't look currently like there will be a path
to migrate everything but 1) this may still change, and 2) it's still a lot
more than what we could expect in the beginning.

In any case, reusing Extbase-based extension in v5 will not be possible
> automatically because the rest of the site is too different. Some
> advantages exist for extension authors but not for integrators. Also
> extension authors will have to change a lot in extensions because Extbase
> only uses the concept but the implementation is different (no name spaces,
> database layout is different). Extbase does not map 1:1 to FLOW3. So that
> argument is not strong.

Indeed there will be great advantages for developers! It's a shame that
nobody has yet published a migration howto, but in fact it should be a very
simple task to migrate such a plugin code-wise. I look forward to that
proof...

For the integrators, it will be equally simple as the data scheme will stay
the same, so all data can be reused.

> In my opinion Extbase is good to use for those, who plan to work with TYPO3
> v5 in future. These people may learn and practice concepts. But telling all
> others "Guys, you suck because you do not want to use Extbase" is offensive
> and unfair. Highlighting only one kind of extensions i like pointing the
> finger to others and saying "You are obsolete".

Well I did not use Extbase so far, but I see the sense behind it. Who said
you would suck? ;-)

> > Additionally, we should encourage developers to base their extensions on
> > Extbase so we'll get a growing set of extensions that can be easily
> > ported to TYPO3 5.0...
>
> I agree with that too.

But hey, isn't this whole proposal about a simple and great encouragement?
Do you mind about encouraging use of Extbase, or do you fear that others
will be discouraged by this?

Now let me ask one question ;) Could you imagine Kasper requesting to
> highlight web sites made with TemplaVoila because he prefers it to all
> other methods?

If TemplaVoila would have been the future, then yes. Otherwise not.

This is not about which framework is better and which one is not. It's about
giving users a hand when they need to choose out of 10 different address
listings...

> I think that Extbase must compete equally with others and win its place in
> developer's heart by equal competition, not by advertisement and forceful
> promotion. That would be fair, wouldn't it? :)

If you think that Extbase is the wrong choice then you must stand up now and
tell why rather than waiting for lib/div & co. to win the "race". Actually,
there is no such race since Extbase was already chosen as the framework
which supercedes tslib_pibase. If you think we're on the wrong path, then
explain why.

You are free to stay with tslib_pibase if you still like it, but there is no
point in battling with all the other frameworks for the next 3 years.
Otherwise, the rise of TYPO3 v5 will take even longer due unavailbility of
daily-use plugins.

For now it would be good if Extbase fans make good docs, howtos, intros,
> showcases, etc.

I agree here.

> That would be much better than highlighting extensions. If
> Extbase wants to win, it must show that it is better. Forcing it will cause
> the opposite reaction. Nothing goes well if it is forced on people.

Encouragement != Force

I hope you see the difference.

Greetings, Michael