[TYPO3-v4] Highlight extbase extensions

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Tue Aug 17 08:32:41 CEST 2010

Hi!

Michael Stucki wrote:
> If you install this extension, it costs you the smallest possible effort
> to migrate it to TYPO3 5.0 once it's been released.

There are two things here:
- "once it has been released", which is how soon? ;)
- "migrate to TYPO3 5.0" and you know that in real world people will not
migrate old sites to the totally new system because it is simply not
possible but will require a complete site rebuilt. It is like migrating
from Druapl to TYPO3: you can't migrate, you have to rebuild. Same with v4
to v5.

In any case, reusing Extbase-based extension in v5 will not be possible
automatically because the rest of the site is too different. Some
advantages exist for extension authors but not for integrators. Also
extension authors will have to change a lot in extensions because Extbase
only uses the concept but the implementation is different (no name spaces,
database layout is different). Extbase does not map 1:1 to FLOW3. So that
argument is not strong.

In my opinion Extbase is good to use for those, who plan to work with TYPO3
v5 in future. These people may learn and practice concepts. But telling all
others "Guys, you suck because you do not want to use Extbase" is offensive
and unfair. Highlighting only one kind of extensions i like pointing the
finger to others and saying "You are obsolete".

> You are free to prefer whatever is not Extbase, but for the majority of
> users this is the framework which they should use now when tslib_pibase
> was used before. It's our default framework.

I agree.

> Additionally, we should encourage developers to base their extensions on
> Extbase so we'll get a growing set of extensions that can be easily
> ported to TYPO3 5.0...

I agree with that too.

Now let me ask one question ;) Could you imagine Kasper requesting to
highlight web sites made with TemplaVoila because he prefers it to all
other methods? Would it be fair to all other web sites? I guess not and
many companies would scream. Same is here. Some people prefer Extbase,
others prefer lib/div, yet others have their own MVC frameworks and some
still like pibase.

I think that Extbase must compete equally with others and win its place in
developer's heart by equal competition, not by advertisement and forceful
promotion. That would be fair, wouldn't it? :)

For now it would be good if Extbase fans make good docs, howtos, intros,
showcases, etc. That would be much better than highlighting extensions. If
Extbase wants to win, it must show that it is better. Forcing it will cause
the opposite reaction. Nothing goes well if it is forced on people.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core&security team member