[TYPO3-mvc] TYPO3-Core complete rebuild to realize modern development paradigms?

Markus Klein klein.t3 at mfc-linz.at
Thu Aug 22 16:49:08 CEST 2013

Hi!

> Hi all!
>
> Two points to think about:
>
> 1.) Most customers dont care about a nice codebase. They want to buy a
> system, which has to work and which they can use over an long period.
> The need of "normal" updates is sometimes hard to explain to a customer,
> breaking changes will be really hard, because there is just a small profit for
> the customer, but in some cases a lot of costs.
> Breaking changes have to be done, thats right, but sometimes a slow
> contineous development is the better way. Other CMS dont look a
> backwards compatibility so much, I think its one the strong point TYPO3 has.
> Everyone who had to communicate the costs of a breaking changes update
> to a non tech customer (which sees no real profit, but maybe a lot of
> costs) know thats a not a good thing.
>
> 2.) The TYPO3-Community should not be split in to many building lots.
> That would split the capacities and its even hard right now to explain a none
> TYPO3-enthusiast why there are that many versions parallel (4.5, 6.x,
> Neos...).
>
> In the end, the enduser pays for our work, so we need to find solutions to fit
> their needs and not just focus on developer issurs.

And here you run into the same pitfall as many companies do with their security ignorance.
Not spending enough into a solid foundation (be it security-wise or developer-focused code-wise) will raise the costs afterwards.

Meaning: A security incident is usually much more expensive than the costs for having a better code quality avoiding the security issue.
The same goes with your suggestion. If you only work on stuff your customer needs and the codebase is of bad quality, satisfying these needs is much more expensive than investing into a solid codebase once and just adding the tiny bits on top then.
If you're expanding your house, you'd might come to a point in time, where you think, you should have expanded/optimized the foundation too. ;-)

> Just my 2 cents...
>
> Best Regards
> Christoph

Markus