[TYPO3-mvc] access control & localization: are they killing the idea of extbase by now?

Sebastian Kurfürst sebastian at typo3.org
Tue Jan 5 09:18:03 CET 2010

Hi Andreas,

> I'm posting because I wanted to know what's planned for future
> development regarding two features:
> - access control: by FEuser / by FE Group / maybe ACL or "Role"
> - localization for model data
> But to be honest: I'm not too happy with this proposal. As these
> features are needed quite often, in short time there will be multiple
> implementations.
> And I'm pretty sure these will be far from good, because mostly they
> will be oriented to the architecture of TYPO3 v4.
Maybe a general note first, before I come to the specific two points:
Extbase (and Fluid) are a tool which should capture proven best
practices from FLOW3 - so people can learn the new techniques and get
comfortable with them.
The emphasis is on *proven* here - we have lots of ideas what would be
cool (f.e. I'd like to have really good widget support in Fluid), but as
many of these ideas are not really proven by real life, we decided
rather not to implement them yet.
At some points where you do not know really the direction in which a
certain problem should be approached, I'd rather step back and see first
what ideas the community has - getting inspired again from different
implementations - and then we can distill the best of it out and make an
implementation that really rocks.

Now concerning Access Control:
This *is* already implemented and well-working in FLOW3 (Andi Förthner
has done a great job on this), but it uses AOP as a basic building block
for this functionality (which we don't have in v4). Additionally, the
approaches are not really 1:1 comparable, so there will be some manual
work needed during update.
However, when some of you have a great proposal concerning a nice Access
Control Implementation in v4, just show it to us :-) (in fact, the old
pibase-extensions never had access control out of the box...), that
might be a feature for Extbase 2.0.

Concerning Localization of content / plugins:
Basically the same applies here what I said about access control, only
that it is clear *how* Extbase should support it (because everything is
there in the backend already) - so I see this only as a missing feature.

So, to summarize: The code of Extbase and FLOW3 is not 100% compatible,
but IMO this is not really doable. We are already having it about 95%
compatible I'd say, but there will be always some slight platform
differences - and most of the code is directly transferrable.

Hope this sheds some light on these issues :)

Greets,
Sebastian