[TYPO3-mvc] access control & localization: are they killing the idea of extbase by now?

Andreas Rieser A.Rieser at T3site.com
Mon Jan 4 21:59:55 CET 2010

Hi all,

I'm following this list for quite a while now and recently started
working with extbase. In parallel I'm reading the recommended books.
Having a look at the Flow3 documents seems also quite helpfull - long
story short: Currently I don't have any open question related to my
own development, but I'm quite sure there will be some things that
finally get me in serious trouble. Sometimes it feels a bit like
fighting with ghosts ;-)

I'm posting because I wanted to know what's planned for future
development regarding two features:
- access control: by FEuser / by FE Group / maybe ACL or "Role"
- localization for model data

Every time I read something concerning these features the end of
story seemed to be: do it in your extension on your on by now. (maybe
I didn't get it right?)
Just to make sure you understand my point: I'm absolutely fine with
this, because there is a lot of stuff to do that's more important!

But to be honest: I'm not too happy with this proposal. As these
features are needed quite often, in short time there will be multiple
implementations.
And I'm pretty sure these will be far from good, because mostly they
will be oriented to the architecture of TYPO3 v4.

I don't know how far these features have been implemented in Flow3
yet, by reading I would say they are still stuck somewhere in the
pipeline. But I think you will agree that it's really important to go
with the new concepts here as soon as possible. If all of you start
doing your own localization and access control workarounds, this will
definetly kill the idea of extbase. It will complicate the transition
to v5 a lot - and I'm sure some extensions will be rewritten again...

Is there anything planned to prevent this from happening?
If not: Can we do anything about it right now?

Simple idea: Maybe this can be encapsulated somehow and integrated in
extbase. If Flow3 isn't ready with this yet, for me it would be an
option to stick to the v4 methods. If they are ready we could try to
push extbase to the new concepts. If this is not possible, because
e.g. now there isn't a v5 concept existing yet, we would have to port
this small part of extbase to v5. But this would help us a lot -
because everything will run out of the box. What do you think?

Greets,
Andreas

PS: Don't get me wrong - extbase rocks anyway.