[TYPO3-mvc] Typo3 4.5 - will all pibase extensions stop working?

Martin Kutschker masi-no at spam-typo3.org
Mon Aug 23 10:59:48 CEST 2010

Am 23.08.2010 10:41, schrieb Stephen Bungert:
> Ah, so 4.5 is idfferent from 5. Ok! How many more versions will there be
> then? 4.6? 4.7? Or will all 4.x versions stop once TYPO3 5 is out?

First of all: don't panic :)

Even if 5.0 is out the 4.x branch will be alive. As open source project it will be around as long
there is interest (even if the original developers have moved off to another "playground"). Keep in
mind that TYPO3 has a firm support from many agencies around the world, so there is little to worry.

> Someone made the extbase extensions so that we could start developing
> extensions that would work in typo3 5 now. Couldn't someone create an
> extension to allow old pibase extensions to function?

Of course "someone" could, but IMHO this in not much reason to do so.

> I have quite a lot of custom extensions written, and
> lots of modifications to tt_news, it would take quite a while for me to
> update them all to work with fluid/extbase.

> Is tt_news going to be  re-written for typo3 5?

I reckon that there will be new extensions (packages) for v5 for the most ususal business cases.

> I see that there is already an extension for a
> extbase/fluid news extension (that should work with tt_news records), does
> this mean tt_news will not be converted?

The whole architecture (and methodology) of v5 is so different that I guess there will be no
"conversions" at all, but rewrites.

I guess that the migration path for an agency will be to create new sites with v5 while still
staying on 4.x for older sites. Perhaps smaller sites can be migrated easily enough (with wizards
and tools?)) that you will switch to v5 even for old sites. Time will tell how easy the migration
will be.

BUT... if you plan to write new extension seriously consider basing them on Extbase.

Masi