[TYPO3-mvc] Typo3 4.5 - will all pibase extensions stop working?

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Mon Aug 23 10:51:55 CEST 2010

Hi,

Stephen Bungert wrote:
> Ah, so 4.5 is idfferent from 5. Ok! How many more versions will there be
> then? 4.6? 4.7? Or will all 4.x versions stop once TYPO3 5 is out?

There's no plan on how many versions there will be but the 4.x branch
will not stop with the release of 5.0, it will continue a while. How
long is not known but you don't have to fear not having any new releases
of the 4.x branch once 5.0 is out, that's the point.

> Someone made the extbase extensions so that we could start developing
> extensions that would work in typo3 5 now. Couldn't someone create an
> extension to allow old pibase extensions to function? Is this at all
> possible/desirable? I have quite a lot of custom extensions written, and

5.0 has a complete other structure and a complete other way to deal with
the "database". It won't be possible nor desirable to have old
extensions be made compatible.

> lots of modifications to tt_news, it would take quite a while for me to
> update them all to work with fluid/extbase. Is tt_news going to be
> re-written for typo3 5? I see that there is already an extension for a
> extbase/fluid news extension (that should work with tt_news records), does
> this mean tt_news will not be converted?

The idea is to rewrite major extensions (tt_news, templavoila, ...) as
FLOW3 packages. Either will they be rewritten in order to "exist" in the
5.0 world or their feature will be part of the "Core" of 5.0, we will
see. Other extensions will need to be rewritten. This is why you should
consider, as an extension developer, "when" to start using Extbase/Fluid
for all new extensions you make.

This requires a bit more time to start with but personally I consider
the framework to be now stable enough to be used for new extensions and
this is what I do when I'm not asked to code something for an old
version of TYPO3.

Regards
Xavier