[TYPO3-mvc] access to ChildNodes arguments

Christian Zenker christian.zenker at 599media.de
Sat Aug 1 20:32:11 CEST 2009

> Hi Christian,
Hi Sebastian.

> Soon, you can use layouts and partials, which will be backported really
> soon :-) We've fixed Fluid in FLOW3 recently in this respect.
I heard of it, and am looking forward using it. But you should take some
sleep sometimes :)

> I feel this would be the better way to do what you want :-)

Definately. But the SwitchViewHelper this way is also a great exercise for
me.

>> But it might also come in handy when iterating over objects, e.g.:
This was a simple example I made up myself. Real designers are way more
creative than me in making up complex styling rules.

> I still have mixed feelings about this; Here, I'd rather see if a custom
> ViewHelper makes more sense.

The SwitchViewHelper *is* my custom ViewHelper - i never said anything
about submitting it to the project. :-P

(well, honestly... I'd be honoured to do so - a draft version is in the
attachment)

> @Bastian: What do you think about this case?

To add something to the discussion:

I see a great need of some basic ViewHelpers to assist designers in their
templating. Having to write a custom ViewHelper for every simple task, is
not what makes fluid the best templating engine ever! Fluid aims to allow
every person with basic knowledge of HTML and some will to learn to write
a template, doesn't it? But if this person has to work with a programmer
to achieve his aim...- where is the advantage?

It's ok, that you don't want to have too many ViewHelpers in Fluid -
especially if they aren't following several standards or are "dirty"
workarounds. Fluid is to be released soon - and with more people using
Fluid, there will be more people asking for several ViewHelpers and more
people writing ViewHelpers. If there are only a few official ViewHelpers,
some people will take their ViewHelpers from anywhere - regardless of
their quality. So in my opinion it would be best to have more "official"
basic ViewHelpers than now. A repository for ViewHelpers, as anyone
suggested earlier, or a supervised extension for additional ViewHelpers
would be usefull for everyone.

Christian.