[TYPO3-ttnews] newscalendar & news vs. tt_news?

Jordan van Bergen jordanvanbergen at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 17:07:09 CEST 2011

Hi all,

We have sponsored the newscalendar extension:
http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/extension-manuals/newscalendar/2.1.5/view/

As news will be the follow up extension instead of tt_news nobody will
be working on tt_news anymore because of this. So we all should switch
to news and start using it but the most of us already have an up and
running system. An example is this newscalendar functionality that was
added on top of tt_news and that I for example use on 3+ websites. And
more people do if you look at the sponsors of newscalendar.

The newscalendar extension we sponsored won't be usable anymore within
news because of this being a total new extension  I assume?

This is not the fault of the developer of newscalendar but very
irritating for a user like me.

What to do now? This is an example of the dilemma people face because
of the new news extension:

1. Switch to the new news extension and lose the newscalendar
functionality
2. having to pay again to have the same functionality of newscalendar
into news
3. Stick to tt_news while knowing it won't work anymore soon. I
already see a lot of bugs and complaints about tt_news not working in
v4.6beta's.
4. just leave TYPO3 and find something else?

Hope to let all of you see why I am so disappointed about what's going
to happen. Maybe news is going to be the best thing ever happened to
TYPO3 but without an import from tt_news or other already productively
used addons based on an extension used for over 5+ years as the core
news extension within TYPO3 a lot of people will be disappointed.
Hopefully threads like this make news become the really anticipated
news extension. At the moment I am reluctant to test it but maybe I
should.

Best Regards

Jordan van Bergen