[TYPO3-ttnews] newscalendar & news vs. tt_news?

Georg Ringer typo3 at ringerge.org
Sun Sep 18 18:30:06 CEST 2011

Hi Jordan,

please don't confuse other users!

Am 18.09.2011 17:07, schrieb Jordan van Bergen:
> As news will be the follow up extension instead of tt_news nobody will
> be working on tt_news anymore because of this.

news is *not* the follow up of tt_news. It is a standalone extension
which does sometimes the same things but it is not the successor of
tt_news. You can use both extensions in the same system on the same
page. There is no conflict and no connection.

> So we all should switch
> to news and start using it but the most of us already have an up and
> running system.

You should use the system and extension you need. If features are
integrated into tt_news (or any other extension which extends tt_news)
you can of course stay with tt_news. You can also stay with any other
extension.

There is no pressure or whatsover to use the news extension.

> The newscalendar extension we sponsored won't be usable anymore within
> news because of this being a total new extension  I assume?

Of course it is not usable with news, it is also not usable with
extensions like mininews, news_plus,  news_flexible, tgm_news and some
extensions I forgot which all do kind of the same: displaying news records.

There are more extensions like tt_news.

> What to do now? This is an example of the dilemma people face because
> of the new news extension:
>
> 2. having to pay again to have the same functionality of newscalendar
> into news

paying is not always the same as sponsoring, just to be clear.

> 3. Stick to tt_news while knowing it won't work anymore soon. I
> already see a lot of bugs and complaints about tt_news not working in
> v4.6beta's.

but this is certainly not the fault of any other news extension! This is
not my fault!

5.) Let someone else implement the feature

> Hope to let all of you see why I am so disappointed about what's going
> to happen.

are you disappointed about all the other news extensions as well? Are
you disappointed about jQuery because nobody else now uses mootools?
Disappointed about DVD because no you can't buy any new VHS anymore,
Bluray because of DVD. You know what I mean? There are always multiple
solutions to a certain problem and of course better doesn't aways mean:
better in every feature.

> Maybe news is going to be the best thing ever happened to
> TYPO3 but without an import from tt_news

damn that is not true.

I will quit answering here for some days as I am tired of giving always
the same anwers over and over and over and over and over and over again.
I hope we all get better things to do on a rainy sunday - at least me

over and out
Georg