[TYPO3-ttnews] Thoughts about news2

Robert Wildling rowild at gmx.net
Fri Jan 7 09:30:03 CET 2011

)Hi, Georg,
>> - Additional date fields for Events / Sorting (1): Since there are many
>> cases where tt_news is used as an event calender, there should be
>> additional date fields that can be used as event date. (There is an
>> extension existing right now that extends tt_news in just that
>> manner...) These field should enable a sorting according to when these
>> events happen (and not to when the respective news entry was
>> written/published).
> an additional field next to normal date field and archive date?

Exactely. The normals fields define the date when the entry was written.
And the "event date fields" define when the event takes place.
The ext I was talking about is called mbl_newsevent. (It also handles
event time spans (from - to) and registration.)

To make those extra event date fields also real *date* fields would help
to get a specific sorting, which is, *when* an event takes place, and
not when the announcement that there will be an event (which would be
the normal date field) was written.

mbl_newsevent also has a checkbox saying "This is an Event" (or
similar). I don't know if such a boolean value is necessary with extbase...

>> The following ideas are more of a cosmetic nature....
>>
>> - Sorting (2): a good sortable list overview in the BE would be great,
>> too. The features right now seem too little, when it comes to many
>> entries... (of course it can be done the "TYPO3" way, which is awesome,
>> but thinking of my clientel, there are some, who have trouble
>> understanding the clipboard etc)
> you mean to get those arrows up/down?
> http://forge.typo3.org/issues/11985

I am not sure if I understand your feature entry correctly, there is not
written any description text...

At the moment one can define title, short and author as what is supposed
to be displayed in the title column in the backend (web/list). The
secion "News Label in List-Module [label]" in the ext manager of tt_news.

Then, in the list module, there additional fields for page, uid, date,
archive date, last change, author and category. But there is no way to
show and/or sort by other fields, especially not when they come from
other extension. So at the moment I have no chance to "show"  and "sort
by" my entries by event date unless I hack a core script...

>> - Enough hooks (but maybe extbase handles this feature automatically
>> now... I don't know yet; I mention this because the developer of the
>> tt_news event ext mentions in the manual that there are hooks missing at
>> the moment...)
> Working with extbase is a little bit different but there are already
> many hooks for the backend like to get different sorting fields in the
> plugins' settings.

The more I read about extbase and fluid here, the more overwhelmed I
get. Seems to be a relly great thing!
>> - Lightbox for content (addon to Thomas' list): I think, it was you,
>> Georg, who actually presented a solution for that problem in one of your
>> other extensions via defining a new page type that has no document body
>> ... or so ...  I don't know if there can be an "out of the box" feature
>> that enables the more link to open the main content in a lightbox...
> Ah now I understand. Single view in lightbox?
> This shouldn't be a problem with fluid as you just need to have an
> additional onclick event on the more link and a lightbox which can
> handle that.

And a definition of a separate page becomes obsolete? That would be just
awesome!

Well, have a good weekend!
Robert