[TYPO3-ttnews] news2 vs tt_news -> TYPO3 CORE?

Georg Ringer typo3 at ringerge.org
Sat Apr 9 12:28:46 CEST 2011

Hi Jordan,

first of all thanks for checking out news2 (which will maybe get a new
ext key in some days).

Am 09.04.2011 12:14, schrieb Jordan van Bergen:
> So a new news extension is being developed. Shouldn't NEWS in general
> be part of the CORE of TYPO3? Every site (if you ask me) needs to
> publish news.

Many of my websites are not about news and therefore the extension
wouldn't be needed.

> So if one news extension is going to be selected into
> the CORE we users don't have to think about what extension to use.

You have also not really to think which extension to use if the
extension is a normal one.

> It's time one news extension is going to be transferred to the CORE of
> TYPO3 as news is a CORE part of a CMS system if you ask me.

There are many reasons against this:
- Slow update process:
	* New versions could only be shipped all 6 months
	* Every change needs to go through the core review process
- Harder to maintain:
	* Bugs need to be fixed for all versions which are currently supported,
I wouldn't have time for that.

- Bigger core
- No benefit having it in the core

So I really believe that there is no advantage for a single user or an
integrator if the extension would be shipped with the core.

Georg