[TYPO3-ttnews] Some impressions of the new News Admin module

Erik Svendsen erik at linnearad.no
Wed Apr 9 23:52:02 CEST 2008

Hi Rupert,

Really appreciate your extensive answer.

> hi erik,
>
> thanks for your report. comments below:
>
> Erik Svendsen wrote:
> [...]
>> 1. It gives the opportunity to make new categories on every page in
>> the pagetree. Shouldn't be possible (maybe there are a way to prevent
>> it). Setting useStoragePid = 1 in the Extensions Manager do not
>> prevent it.
>>
> that should not be the case. The intended behavior is like this:
> (and this is how it works on my local test installations using RC1 and
> latest TYPO3 src from SVN)
> case 1: useStoragePid = 1
> - if the rootpage (pid=0) or any other page that does not contain
> categories is selected in the pagetree the module shows the "overview"
> screen. This screen lists all pages where categories have been found
> and links to them.
>
> - if a page with categories is selected in the pagetree or if you
> clicked on a page in the overview screen, the module shows the tree of
> all categories found on the current page and the list of news matching
> the current selection (from all pages).

After more testing, I have to admitt it works like you say when GRSP=1. But
then I suppose also the following is correct.
* Normal BE-user can only see news if they choose a category, Admin can see
all news if he don't choose a category, if he choose one, he sees only news
with choosen category.
* New articles from the News Admin as user can only be saved in folders who
are set through the mod.web_txttnewsM1.list.pidForNewArticles (same for admin).
This doesn't mean that you can't use more than one sysfolder, but you have
to configure it correct. For instance I have three folders with categorys,
then I can configure each of these folders with category to save the news
in a specific folder (as long as the user has permission to save it there.
But I can't save in other folders. Looks like it's work identical for admin
and normal user.
* Else the normal restriction for setting GRSP=1 apply. If you are in another
page with categories only the choosen category and categories from GRSP can
be used.

I think this works well, but limitation regarding multiple sysfolders for
news articles should be explained and how it could be used with more than
one sysfolder for news articles

> case 2: useStoragePid = 0
> - the overview screen shows only on the rootpage (pid=0).
> - on all other pages the module shows the category tree of all
> categories
> and the news matching the current selection (from all pages).
> that describes what admin users see. If a normal user is logged in,
> then all terms like "all categories", "all news" and "all pages"
> depend of course on the users permissions (access module), db-mounts,
> excludefields, allowed categories ...
>
> as you see, the 'news admin' module is currently optimized for a
> scenario with useStoragePid = 1 and for using/displaying fine-grained
> permissions of single news records. These permissions are controlled
> by the editing permissions of the page where the news are stored in,
> but also by the assigned categories which can be allowed/disallowed in
> the be_user groups. If a user has enabled the display of not editable
> news he even will be informed about the reason why a particular news
> article is not ediable for him. That's a feature which is currently
> not available in any other view in TYPO3.
>
> Those "filtered-by-permissions" view is of course not available for
> admin
> users. Contrary to its name this module is not so useful for admins as
> for
> normal news editors.
> But since an admin can switch to every other user and back everytime I
> see
> no problem in this.

No I don't see any problem with this either, as Admin I'm probably not så
interested in permissions, I'm interested in looking over the articles, maybe
edit and make one new.

>> 2. It gives the opportunity to put news articles on every page oi the
>> page
>> tree if you not are using mod.web_txttnewsM1.list.pidForNewArticles
>> in a
>> proper way. Because of the new element icon on top of the list. So
>> with
>> proper setup it easy to prevent it, even on sites with more than one
>> sysfolder for news articles. It's easy to configure different parts
>> of the
>> page three to save news articles in different pages.. But;
>> - either drop the new element button
>> - or point out the proper configuration in the documentation
> here it is:
>
> the visibility of the "new news article" button depends on the current
> user's editing permissions for the target page for new articles.
> no perms = no button.
> the target page for new news records depends on pidForNewArticles, the
> selected page in the pagetree and on editing permissions and
> pagemounts:
>
> if pidForNewArticles is set this value is taken as pid for new
> articles. if pidForNewArticles is empty the currently selected page is
> taken.
>
> if the target page for new articles is editable (edit content = 1),
> the "newArticle" button is visible and provides 2 different functions:
>
> 1. if no category selected: "create new news record"
> the list shows of course only if "noListWithoutCatSelection" is
> disabled
> (default=1 for non admin users)

Then you need to set noListWithoutCatSelection = 0 if normal users shall
have the possibility to create news articles in a category without any article
in.

> 2. if a category is selected: "create new news record in this
> category"
>
> all in all quite logical, isn't it? ;-)

I haven't any problem with the user permission, but most users will also
have editing permissions on normal pages. And I think a lot of administrators
aren't aware of the use of pidForNewArticles who is necessay to use when
GRSP=0. But I suppose you understood that I found the working solution, and
the right way is to point out the proper configuration in the documentation.

But still there are a problem that normal users can create categories on
every page where edit content = 1, when GRSP = 0. Could a it be a solution
to have a TSConfig variable pidForNewCategories to prevent this (works like
pidForNewArticles)

> the idea behind this principle was to re-use as much of the already
> existing permission-control features from TYPO3 as possible to keep
> the module configuration small.

Agree, and when I have more and less understood the logic, it's quite logical.
But I think a lot of administrators will have som problems. So it's needed
good documentation. Only look at the bugreport from Dan Osipov.

>> Another possible solutions is to make it possible to configure on
>> which pages the News Admin should be able to show news and
>> categories. Probably this is the intention.
>>
> exactly
>
>> Also, on my testing installations normal BE-users don't se any news
>> in the News Admin module. Already made categories are shown, but new
>> categories (created from the module) don't show up in the list.
>>
> where have those new category records been created?

Doesn't matter which page, but if I make the new category a subcategory it
shows. Probably related to permissions. It's only a problem with GRSP = 0

>> Have checked Page
>> Access and user/group setting, and can't find anything who should
>> make
>> problems.
>> It should be possible to list only news in a certain folder.
> indeed, a missing feature.
> I'll add an option: "show only news from selected page(s)"
> (with/without
> recursion) to the list view.
> greets
> rupert

Again, thank you for your in-depth explanation. If you don't mind, I could
write something about this on the wiki to help people who want to test out
the new functionality.

ciao,
Erik
www.linnearad.no