[TYPO3-ttnews] Some impressions of the new News Admin module

Rupert Germann rupi at gmx.li
Wed Apr 9 14:08:59 CEST 2008

hi erik,

thanks for your report. comments below:

Erik Svendsen wrote:
[...]
> 1. It gives the opportunity to make new categories on every page in the
> pagetree. Shouldn't be possible (maybe there are a way to prevent it).
> Setting useStoragePid = 1 in the Extensions Manager do not prevent it.

that should not be the case. The intended behavior is like this:
(and this is how it works on my local test installations using RC1 and
latest TYPO3 src from SVN)

case 1: useStoragePid = 1
 - if the rootpage (pid=0) or any other page that does not contain
categories is selected in the pagetree the module shows the "overview"
screen. This screen lists all pages where categories have been found and
links to them.

- if a page with categories is selected in the pagetree or if you clicked on
a page in the overview screen, the module shows the tree of all categories
found on the current page and the list of news matching the current
selection (from all pages).

case 2: useStoragePid = 0
- the overview screen shows only on the rootpage (pid=0).
- on all other pages the module shows the category tree of all categories
and the news matching the current selection (from all pages).

that describes what admin users see. If a normal user is logged in, then all
terms like "all categories", "all news" and "all pages" depend of course on
the users permissions (access module), db-mounts, excludefields, allowed
categories ...

as you see, the 'news admin' module is currently optimized for a scenario
with useStoragePid = 1 and for using/displaying fine-grained permissions of
single news records. These permissions are controlled by the editing
permissions of the page where the news are stored in, but also by the
assigned categories which can be allowed/disallowed in the be_user groups.
If a user has enabled the display of not editable news he even will be
informed about the reason why a particular news article is not ediable for
him. That's a feature which is currently not available in any other view in
TYPO3.

Those "filtered-by-permissions" view is of course not available for admin
users. Contrary to its name this module is not so useful for admins as for
normal news editors.
But since an admin can switch to every other user and back everytime I see
no problem in this.

> 2. It gives the opportunity to put news articles on every page oi the page
> tree if you not are using mod.web_txttnewsM1.list.pidForNewArticles in a
> proper way. Because of the new element icon on top of the list. So with
> proper setup it easy to prevent it, even on sites with more than one
> sysfolder for news articles. It's easy to configure different parts of the
> page three to save news articles in different pages.. But;
> - either drop the new element button
> - or point out the proper configuration in the documentation

here it is:

the visibility of the "new news article" button depends on the current
user's editing permissions for the target page for new articles.
no perms = no button.

the target page for new news records depends on pidForNewArticles, the
selected page in the pagetree and on editing permissions and pagemounts:

if pidForNewArticles is set this value is taken as pid for new articles.
if pidForNewArticles is empty the currently selected page is taken.

if the target page for new articles is editable (edit content = 1),
the "newArticle" button is visible and provides 2 different functions:

1. if no category selected: "create new news record"
the list shows of course only if "noListWithoutCatSelection" is disabled
(default=1 for non admin users)

2. if a category is selected: "create new news record in this category"

all in all quite logical, isn't it? ;-)

the idea behind this principle was to re-use as much of the already existing
permission-control features from TYPO3 as possible to keep the module
configuration small.

> Another possible solutions is to make it possible to configure on which
> pages the News Admin should be able to show news and categories. Probably
> this is the intention.

exactly

> Also, on my testing installations normal BE-users don't se any news in the
> News Admin module. Already made categories are shown, but new categories
> (created from the module) don't show up in the list.

where have those new category records been created?

> Have checked Page
> Access and user/group setting, and can't find anything who should make
> problems.
> It should be possible to list only news in a certain folder.

indeed, a missing feature.
I'll add an option: "show only news from selected page(s)" (with/without
recursion) to the list view.

greets
rupert