[TYPO3-ttnews] Time for tt_news 3.0 ?

Dan Osipov dosipov at phillyburbs.com
Tue Apr 8 05:29:57 CEST 2008

Ingo Renner wrote:
> Patrick Gaumond wrote:
>> Hello dear tt_newslisters,
>>
>> Since March 17th, the changelog has 125 stars (*) which we could
>> translate to as much features and bugfixes !
>>
>> And since ther are some major reorganization of files and OptionSplits
>> everywhere, I would like to suggest to Ruppi to make 2.6 version 3.0.
>
> I largely disagree at this point! 2.6 is the right number! 3.0 should be
> an even more fundamental rewrite of tt_news. Sure we all love tt_news.
> But on the other hand it has so many shortcomings when it comes to
> usability, configuration, maintainability, and extension.
>
> Nobody can blame Rupi or anybody else who put work into tt_news for
> these things - heck I would even blame myself as co-developer of tt_news!
> However from that position of the co-developer and the experience I
> gained during studies, my role as Release Manager for TYPO3 4.2, and the
> work with TYPO3 in general and tt_news as a single project I also can
> say that many new and improved ways of development turned up since I
> started to work with TYPO3.
>
> In my eyes a 3.0 version of tt_news is only worth it if a rewrite is
> done from the base up in a far more object oriented way than it is
> today. This will make it easier to understand, extend, and especially
> work with tt_news.
>
> So again, 2.6 is the correct increase of the version number; Don't go
> for 3.0 just for the sake of it. A full version bump would allow us to
> break everything, while we would give away this chance now. Of course
> XCLASSes will break with 2.6 but IMO this is always tolerable - even
> with 2.5.x+1 releases.
>
> yours
> Ingo

What about developing 2.6 and 3.0 in parallel, just like 4.2 is
developed at the same time with 5.0? This would keep all the bug fixes
and minor improvements in 2.6, and major code revisions in 3.0

In my opinion, it doesn't matter what the version number is, as long as
the software is continuously improved...

--
Dan Osipov
Calkins Media