[TYPO3-ttnews] Time for tt_news 3.0 ?

Patrick Gaumond patrick at typo3quebec.org
Tue Apr 8 04:52:29 CEST 2008

Ingo Renner wrote:
> Patrick Gaumond wrote:

>> And since ther are some major reorganization of files and OptionSplits
>> everywhere, I would like to suggest to Ruppi to make 2.6 version 3.0.
>
> I largely disagree at this point! 2.6 is the right number! 3.0 should be
> an even more fundamental rewrite of tt_news. Sure we all love tt_news.
> But on the other hand it has so many shortcomings when it comes to
> usability, configuration, maintainability, and extension.

Let the number go to 4.0 when Rupi or Mister Next Maintainer get
the "Complete Rewrite tt_news" or the "T3 v 5.0 compatible tt_news".

Are you afraid of missing version number ?  ;)

> In my eyes a 3.0 version of tt_news is only worth it if a rewrite is
> done from the base up in a far more object oriented way than it is
> today. This will make it easier to understand, extend, and especially
> work with tt_news.

I don't see a problem here. There's no contradiction between having OO
and getting a big revision number... tt_news 4.0 sounds good enough to
me.  :)

> So again, 2.6 is the correct increase of the version number; Don't go
> for 3.0 just for the sake of it.

This is not marketing. This is letting people know that lots of things
changed between 2 releases. Let this hint that compatibility issues can
happen.

You know, I don't mind the number for myself because I read this list,
Core and Dev. So it's not for a technical point I was suggesting the
version number but to pro-actively send a message to people that will
blindly upgrade their extension without paying attention.

> A full version bump would allow us to
> break everything, while we would give away this chance now. Of course
> XCLASSes will break with 2.6 but IMO this is always tolerable - even
> with 2.5.x+1 releases.

Lets break everything for OO_tt_news 4.0 and again for V5_tt_news 5.0. I
don't mind.

If I was an extension author having my_ext at version 3.2 and preparing
a full revision for TYPO3 version 5.0, my new version would be at
version 5 too! People must not underestimate the value of communication
going thru a simple version number.

So back to the decimal...

I suggest 2.5.x -> 3.0 based on +250 features & fixes and potential
compatibility issues along with the idea that the increased number will
also hint people on the compatibility issue.

You suggest 2.5.x -> 2.6 because it's not a rewrite (OO, better code, etc).

I'll let Ruppert do whatever he wants. He's the maintainer and main
responsible guy for the 120 ko Changleog of tt_news (hint hint, maybe
the changelog could be cleaned from pre-2.0 information (mid 2005).

Ingo, this is not personal in any way but I still think 3.0 is a good
"communication strategy" and not just a marketing gimmick.

Patrick 2.0 Gaumond