[TYPO3-rte] TYPO3 and CkEditor

Zachary Davis, Cast Iron Coding LLC zach at castironcoding.com
Wed Oct 28 14:08:15 CET 2009

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:

> Sounds interesting! But instead of every RTE implementation bringing its
> own "page browser", why not make a generic extJS pagebrowser? Could be a
> separate extension for now. We could later try to integrate it into core
> so that every extension (and RTE) might use it.
>
> Something that has a similar API to "browse_links.php" and
> "browse_files.php" but totally extJS based (and not opening in a popup
> but in an overlay instead).
>
> Cheers,
> Ernesto

Ernesto,

I'm all for it being reusable, and can't see any reason why what we
wrote wouldn't be reusable. There's a class that returns a JSON
representation of a level of the page tree based on the ID of the page
that's being expanded in the page tree. It's basically just a 50 line
wrapper class for the TYPO3 core webPageTree class, and the array of
pages being returned is coming from that core class.

The actual javascript that renders the page tree is trivial - 20 or 30
lines - because extJS makes rendering the tree very easy. And yes, it
opens in an overlay using ckEditor's internal methods for handling dialogs.

best,
Zach