[TYPO3-doc] Current status of TYPO3 CMS in the docs

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Wed Mar 4 14:08:51 CET 2015

Hi Mark,

Thanks for introducing yourself here, after our PM exchange.

> • Whose responsibility is it to re-write outdated texts on behalf of
> the Core Team?

There are a number of outdated manuals. The TYPO3 documentation is huge
and the Documentation Team tiny. I'm not sure that there's really hope
of keeping everything up to date.

On this page: http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/Index.html

we have comments about currently unmaintained manuals. I would say that
it's not totally up to date, as other manuals have fallen out of step
since then, in particular the Getting Started tutorial which has a mass
of screenshots to update (for 6.2; and all will have to be redone for 7).

In the particular case of the Fluid & Extbase book, it would really need
to be updated given the lack of other documentation, but - as you
noticed - this is a work far beyond grammatical corrections.

> • Is there a concept for the correct location for documentation?

That was explained by Martin :-)

> • What is the difference between wiki.typo3.org and docs.typo3.org?

I would add to Martin's comment that the point of docs.typo3.org is that
every single line of text is validated and every code sample is
functional. Obviously we lack the resources to live up to that
commitment, but we do our best.

The wiki is sometimes also used as an "incubator" for a future manual
(the Basic Templating tutorial started this way).

> • Is docs.typo3.org the actual official documentation, to which all
> other sources should eventually link? Thereby having the highest
> priority.

Yes!

> • Are there plans to make docs.typo3.org multilingual? It would be
> great if a German translation could be started.

Yes and no. It would obviously be great for docs.typo3.org to be
multilingual, but given our eternal shortage of resources, I think that
it is not realistic.

Work: Cobweb Development Sarl - http://www.cobweb.ch

TYPO3: Help the project! - http://typo3.org/contribute/

Appreciate my work? Support me -