[TYPO3-doc] Current status of TYPO3 CMS in the docs

Mark Howells-Mead mark at mhm.li
Wed Mar 4 13:23:48 CET 2015

> We shouldn't invest time in outdated stuff that's not needed any
> more. About this case: Though outdated when it comes to code
> examples I think that book is still extremely valuable. We should
> never drop it as it's one of the rare documents where *concepts*
> are explained. So: Let's improve it!

That makes sense. If it actually *was* a book though, then the choice
needs to be made whether it is left as-is, and marked as outdated, or
updated to keep pace with current technology.

>>• Whose responsibility is it to re-write outdated texts on behalf of
>>the Core Team?
>
> To be serious: In general the documentation team took care of the
> "official documents". Official means, they are on docs.typo3.org
> and the docteam cares about them.

That's the copy I'm referring to, as I've received editorial rights to
docs.typo3.org (via GitHub). I understood that this mailing list was
the place to discuss that.

What I'm mainly concerned about is that some parts of the core
documentation are wrong, because the information is outdated and still
refers to 4.x. Does the Core Team maintain docs.typo3.org too?

> Extension docs are in the hands of the respective authors.

Sure, I understood that. It's the core documentation I'm focusing on.

> The core team has developed a workflow where documentation changes
> introduced by code patches go into separate reST documents which
> are then integrated into the official manuals by the docteam.

Where is this process documented (or available)?

> IMHO: Wiki allows to quickly compile pieces of information but
> from some point on maintenance and navigation become difficult.
> And often it's difficult to decide if the information in the wiki
> ist still valid.

Makes sense; that the Wiki is a communal knowledge base and not
documentation. Which accounts for the wild diversity between language
versions.

>>• Are there plans to make docs.typo3.org multilingual? It would be
>>great if a German translation could be started.
> See http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/extensions/sphinx/ and hover
> over "Versions"

Yes, that's what I meant. Just for core docs and not extension docs.

Cheers
Mark