[TYPO3-doc] formal or informal in official docs

Michael Schams typo3.lists at 2014.trash.schams.net
Tue Mar 11 08:59:55 CET 2014

Hi DocTeam friends :-)

We are in the final stage of the TYPO3 CMS 6.2 What's News Slides and an
interesting question came up by the translators, which I could not answer:

When we address users in non-English documents (e.g. translations),
should we address him/her in a formal or in an informal way?

I don't face this issue in my English version(s) but some languages
differentiate between these. For example in German "du" and "sie" or in
Spanish "usted" and "tú".

Is there a consensus for official TYPO3 documents which we can adopt? If
not, do you have a suggestion? Does it depend on the target audience
(e.g. "What's New Slides" for members of the TYPO3 community vs. "What's
New For Editors")?

Thanks for your feedback :-)

Cheers
Michael