[TYPO3-doc] Integrating "Disqus" on docs.typo3.org

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Wed Sep 4 19:10:44 CEST 2013

Hi Bastian,

Bastian Waidelich wrote:

> So I came back to the initial idea of creating a Flow based service for
> the comments for following reasons:
>
> * We have a package TYPO3.Comments that could be used for a base
> * It would be a good example for a Flow based service that is used by
> the TYPO3 community
> * It could serve as documentation on how to create a REST API with Flow

Nice side effect :)

> After doing a couple of tests, I think the implementation is not as
> complex as I thought initially (apart from some hurdles, see below). In
> regards to the minimal feature set:
>
> * Proper spam protection
>
> The commenting should be restricted to users with TYPO3 accounts.
> Further filtering could be done with akismet if needed.

+1, that should work out mostly.

Just for the record: askismet is not anything better than disqus in terms of
privacy.

> * Flagging of inappropriate comments
>
> Should be very easy to do

+1

> * Voting (so helpful comments can be displayed on top)
>
> That's a bit more complex. Especially in regards to the ordering of
> nested comments.

See below.

> * Syntax highlighting for various languages
>
> Easily possible with HTMLPurifier & highlight.js or similar.
>
> * Notification-system
>
> Should be possible out of the box with Commands & cron jobs. If traffic
> gets too high, this could be replaced by a proper job queue.

I do not expect many comments. We should try to restrict to comments to
helpful additions and try to keep discussions out of the docs.

> I created a little prototype that already works quite nicely.
> In contrast to disqus I'd suggest to use a single dimension for the main
> posts (rather than a nested tree) with the possibility to comment a post
> (similar to stackexchange.com).

That is cool.

> I got a tree based approach to work, but that gets very complex when
> ordering after votes and I think it wouldn't be very constructive either.

I do not expect many comments. A simple flat list with a reply list for each
item of the former list should do.

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!