[TYPO3-doc] Integrating "Disqus" on docs.typo3.org

Aske Ertmann aertmann at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 14:11:40 CEST 2013

Hello list

Seems to me that the whole ruling out using Disqus still hasn't been decided and no one has contacted the board. I think we shouldn't start creating budget applications before it has actually been decided that it cannot be used. Personally I think it's a waste of money to spend a lot of time re-inventing the wheel when there are perfect 3rd party tools available for free. Concerning the tracking I think it will suffice to do it the same way the share buttons for extensions on typo3.org are made, by having to click something in order to load the comments.

But creating a good commenting solution from scratch is not a small task. Disqus has loads of features that make it stand apart from most normal comment implementation, including administration, lazy loading, infinite page loading, administration, sorting by newest, oldest and popular, ratings, code snippets, tracking new comments, single-sign-on, sharing, nested comments, name references, reporting, subscribing, feeds.. and probably many more things.

Some of these features could of course be implemented in our own commenting system, but which features are necessary and will it be maintained? Only advantages I see is that the data can be stored privately, no tracking, the ability to tailor it complete as wanted and of course the ability move the comments from one page to another if the documentation changes.

However it really has to have some of these features in order to work well, because just look at php.net where the comment section is pretty damn useless because it's a very simple commenting system that people don't get much benefit from. However stuff like stackoverflow works really well because of rated nested comments.

In any case I really like the idea of adding comments for the documentation and hope we can figure something out soon.

That's just my three cents