[TYPO3-doc] Current state

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Thu Mar 14 22:36:46 CET 2013

Hi Elmar,

> 1.) Sphinx is announced to become the official documentation format for
> all T3 subprojects.

Yes, it is meant to be the common infrastructure. For now this is true
for the TYPO3 CMS official documentation, as well as for Flow and Neos.

> 2.) The infrastructure for rendering and migration is currently in
> development, but not stable enough to get connected to
> http://typo3.org/extensions.

Stability is not the right word. It is mostly automation that is
missing. The whole rendering chain is supposed to be managed by a Flow
app, which is not yet finished. It is meant to handle requests for
rendering from various resources and connect all the Sphinx scripts.

In the meantime the existing Python (or shell, Martin knows better)
shell scripts could be modified to ensure that ReST-based manuals in
extensions are properly detected and rendered. Once we can ensure this,
we can push for changes on typo3.org.

> 3.) Documentation about the usage of sphinx is mainly found in the wiki,
> but lacks clear structure and actuality.

Martin has started writing a contributors guide in ReST, which would be
the ultimate resources, rather than the wiki.

> c) I would meet with Martin Bless in Münster, to get a deeper insight
> into the current infrastructure.

That sounds great and I'm sure Martin will agree. If you want to put
stuff to the wiki in the meantime, it's fine, it can always be copied
later to the manual Martin is working on.

Feel free to keep asking if you have other questions or if my answers
are not complete enough for you.