[TYPO3-doc] Integrating "Disqus" on docs.typo3.org

Stefan Neufeind typo3.neufeind at speedpartner.de
Mon Jun 17 14:49:43 CEST 2013

On 06/17/2013 02:30 PM, Bastian Waidelich wrote:

[...]

> Besides I think having commenting only makes sense with a minimal
> feature set including:
>
> * Proper spam protection
> * Flagging of inappropriate comments
> * Voting (so helpful comments can be displayed on top)
> * Syntax highlighting for various languages
> * Notification-system
>
> I think that Disqus [2] would be a good solution as it seems to be
> widely accepted and covers all of the above. And according to [3] we
> could even have SSO support free of charge (I might be wrong on that one).
>
> Going for that solution there are some drawbacks:
>
> * We also need to set it up (but that's a matter of including a script tag)
> * We might need to "moderate" comments every now and then (Disqus offers
> a nice interface for this)
> * If we want SSO support we have to write a connector
> * We're storing user information on a foreign server (*Haaa-NSA-tschi*)
>
> Given the advantages on the other hand I still think it would be worth it.
> I've setup a really basic example [4] to see how this could look like
> (with default configuration & styling in this case). Feel free to test.
>
> I'm eager to get your feedback on this one.

Hi Bastian,

for me the biggest disadvantage of using things like Google-services,
like the uservoice (?) we had on the new typo3.org-website in the past
and also with Disqus is that users are being tracked without even
"noticing" or without using/wanting that functionality.

Would allow discussing things only by users logged-in on typo3.org be an
option? Could we load the disqus-thing when users opted in (or out) to
use it (through their preferences)?
This would on the other hand mean that also displaying of comments is
only available to logged-in users. Hmm, might be advantage to suggest to
people to please get a typo3.org-account :-)

If with reasonable effort we could create such functionality locally I'd
highly favor it.

Kind regards,
 Stefan