[TYPO3-doc] Integrating "Disqus" on docs.typo3.org

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Mon Jun 17 14:44:06 CEST 2013

Hi,

> Going for that solution there are some drawbacks:
>
> * We also need to set it up (but that's a matter of including a script tag)
> * We might need to "moderate" comments every now and then (Disqus offers
> a nice interface for this)
> * If we want SSO support we have to write a connector
> * We're storing user information on a foreign server (*Haaa-NSA-tschi*)
>
> Given the advantages on the other hand I still think it would be worth it.
> I've setup a really basic example [4] to see how this could look like
> (with default configuration & styling in this case). Feel free to test.

I came to the same conclusion for my own doc, integrated with
EXT:restdoc. It is just a matter of having a unique ID for each chapter.

Some thoughts:

- Once disqus gets used, beware of heavy refactoring if chapters get
removed or renamed, this will most probably make all comments disappear

- Whenever we have a translation of some docs, we could (as did that)
use the same "chapter ID" for each translation of a given chapter, just
to let people share ideas and comments regardless of the language.

For me, a full +1 to go that direction, I think it's better to focus on
writing documentation and making it more readable than programming and
managing the commenting system ourselves.

There are a few other alternatives to Disqus, so perhaps it's worth
comparing them but Disqus is definitely something highly usable.

Best
Xavier

--
Xavier Perseguers