[TYPO3-doc] Integrating "Disqus" on docs.typo3.org

Bastian Waidelich bastian at typo3.org
Mon Jun 17 14:30:29 CEST 2013

Hi all,

I think this has been discussed before, but I'd like to draw your
attention to an issue I created six month ago regarding "commenting for
docs.typo3.org" [1].

The original idea was to create (partly re-use) a simple commenting tool
to be included on docs.typo3.org (AJAX-driven).

Given the resources we have I still think that being able to comment on
the documentation is a good idea but I doubt that we should implement
that ourself because:

* We need someone to code the missing features
* We need someone to set it all up
* We especially need someone who maintains the tool

Besides I think having commenting only makes sense with a minimal
feature set including:

* Proper spam protection
* Flagging of inappropriate comments
* Voting (so helpful comments can be displayed on top)
* Syntax highlighting for various languages
* Notification-system

I think that Disqus [2] would be a good solution as it seems to be
widely accepted and covers all of the above. And according to [3] we
could even have SSO support free of charge (I might be wrong on that one).

Going for that solution there are some drawbacks:

* We also need to set it up (but that's a matter of including a script tag)
* We might need to "moderate" comments every now and then (Disqus offers
a nice interface for this)
* If we want SSO support we have to write a connector
* We're storing user information on a foreign server (*Haaa-NSA-tschi*)

Given the advantages on the other hand I still think it would be worth it.
I've setup a really basic example [4] to see how this could look like
(with default configuration & styling in this case). Feel free to test.

I'm eager to get your feedback on this one.

Note: Replies should go to the "typo3.projects.documentation" mailing
list or to the issue itself.

[1] http://forge.typo3.org/issues/44154
[2] http://www.disqus.com/
[3] http://disqusinquiry.wufoo.com/forms/z7x3k1/