[TYPO3-doc] left nav menu is always collapsed?

Jacob Floyd cognifloyd at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 10:34:17 CEST 2013

Quote: Philipp Gampe (pgampe) wrote on Fri, 19 July 2013 10:20
> > Or are you saying that all rest files within the Flow package need to use
> > headings consistently? So the character used must be the same in both
> > Quickstart and The Definitive Guide?
>
> Yes. I do not know for 100%, thus you should try with a few pages first, but
> this is what happened to me:
>

> I had a single page containing two first level headlines. Sphinx mode two
> final pages out if it instead of one. Thus sphinx keeps track of all
> headings used and creates the menu accordingly, independed of where they are
> located (single file or splitt up).
>
> As said, I do not know for sure, but you should give it a try.

OK. I reinstalled the t3sphinx package so that I can generate these docs locally (It took a long time to remember that it needed python2 and figure out how to make it use python2 instead of python3, the default on my linux box. But generating docs locally is working now. Using the sphinx extension in TYPO3CMS wasn't a viable option for me since I don't have any running installations of TYPO3CMS and I didn't want to go to all the effort of getting an instance up and running just to generate some docs.)

To test this, I deleted all of the docs except for the QuickStart guide and the Validation chapter of The Definitive Guide / Part III. That way I only have to change one file to test things, until I get it working. That way there are fewer files for me to search for errors, and it doesn't take sphinx as long to generate the docs over and over again (try something, "make html", try something, "make html", repeat, repeat, repeat).

Then, I swapped out all of the heading markers in Validation (and all of the Index.rst files) for the characters used in QuickStart. (= for H1, - for H2, and ~ for H3). So, that means that every reST file that sphinx is rendering is using the heading characters consistently.

Results? No change in the menus. (except for the obvious exception: the files I chapters I deleted no longer show up anywhere). The menus work great in
* QuickStart (level 1)
* Index to The Definitive Guide (level 1)
* Index to Part III of The Definitive Guide (level 2)

But as soon as I go into the Validation chapter (level 3) the menus don't work.

Any other suggestions on what I can change?