[TYPO3-doc] left nav menu is always collapsed?

Jacob Floyd cognifloyd at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 11:34:44 CEST 2013

The solution has something to do with 'toctree' If I change maxdepth to 3 in the main TYPO3.Flow Index.rst[1], then the menus are correctly generated in both the nav-aside, and the ToC flyout. (Then again, that only solves part of the problem. If you entered the coding guidelines (level 4), then the menu disappears.

The problem with increasing the maxdepth, is that makes the main index page look awful. The index needs to display a 2-level toctree, while allowing for an infinite toctree in the sidebar (but the sidebar should not include the heading levels that show up in the ToC flyout (the subheadings on a page)).

Another awkward thing is that the Flow documentation is actually adding three separate toctrees[1] creating the odd spacing between them in the sidebar.

How can I make Sphinx see each of these toctrees as entirely separate docs? The goal is a menu that looks like [2] in The Definitive Guide. But I still want to have a main Flow documentation page that gives an overview of the Flow docs. It should serve the same role as the TYPO3CMS doc main page[3], but with a simple layout like the current Index[4].

So, I guess a more general question would be: How can a package provide more than one set of documentation in a clean and simple way?

[1] https://git.typo3.org/Packages/TYPO3.Flow.git/blob/HEAD:/Documentation/Index.rst
[2] http://db.tt/t2axatxm
[3] http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/
[4] http://docs.typo3.org/flow/TYPO3FlowDocumentation/