[TYPO3-doc] Multilingual documentation

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Fri Aug 9 11:51:43 CEST 2013

Hi Martin,

>>> I agree with all this, but I would prefer that we stick to fully
>>> qualified locales (e.g. fr_FR, fr_CA, etc.) rather than 2-letter ISO
>>> codes.
>
>> That's fine and makes sense,
>
> Yes, it does make sense. We should do that in any case where we
> are dealing with localization internally (repo names and paths and
> so on).

Script on docs.typo3.org has been updated.

> I'm not so sure about this when it comes to public urls. "/fr_FR/"
> is rather ugly and technical compared to "/fr/". And I assume it
> will really be a very rare case that we need locales in the url if
> ever.

Indeed:

http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/extensions/sphinx/fr_FR/latest/

but...

> Can't we resort to a more pragmatic approach? Let's use "/fr/" for
> manuals in french language. And additionally "/ca_FR/" if there's
> a special canadian french version.

... in case we take as example large multinational websites, they are
doing it this way:

http://www.microsoft.com/fr-fr/download/details.aspx?id=14632
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=14632
http://www.microsoft.com/de-de/download/details.aspx?id=14632

Question: would it make sense to have a locale everytime? => "default"
(= empty) would become "en-us" or "en-gb"?

--
Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!