[TYPO3-doc] Standalone Sphinx

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Wed Apr 17 16:37:37 CEST 2013

Hi Francois,

>> This is really a prototype but I guess this could be really interesting,
>> isn't it? Think of allowing extension documentation to be compiled on
>> the fly and shown in Backend (I have a working prototype for this
>> latter), or a "console" in the Backend to work on ReST.
>
> Very interesting R&D. This could be very helpful for people who don't
> yet have a Python environment, especially fully configured for
> documentation needs. It could also be an alternative for having rendered
> documentation locally, although the main goal should still be to have an
> extension able to download what was produced on docs.typo3.org.

Yes, this is basically the idea. It does not aim at replacing best
"official" solutions but helping people without much knowledge to
quickly get up and running. If it helps a few people, that's already
very good I'd say.

Interesting persons may have a look at:

http://forge.typo3.org/projects/extension-sphinx/repository/show/trunk

Currently it only does something from EM, a dynamic configuration option
lets you choose which version of Sphinx to use (if you have multiple
installed locally), will be used later to invoke Sphinx as a service by
other extensions (I guess) and the Update! script shows every version of
Sphinx available online (official repository) and lets you download the
version you want (as a zip), unzip it and builds it locally.

I just have to provide some "sphinx-exec" method for other extensions
and one could start playing with sphinx right away".

Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6

TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!
Get involved: http://typo3.org