[TYPO3-doc] Not extending the Extension Manager

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Mon Sep 24 08:14:40 CEST 2012

Hi Francois,

> I continued thinking about the idea of providing a "documentation"
> extension for the 6.0 Extension Manager. After having toyed with the
> latter a bit, I'm not sure this is such a good idea anymore. Indeed the
> new EM goes in the direction of less features and more usability and it
> might not be of help to add too much stuff to it.
>
> So I think it might be better to make it a totally separate extension,
> which would add itself as a module to the Help menu item in the TYPO3
> BE. Of course it might still hook into the Core whenever appropriate,
> but this gives us more freedom IMO.

That could indeed be really good because many manuals provide useful
information for "simple" editors and with the move to reST we should
start thinking about more advanced integration of the documentation
within TYPO3. I could easily think of showing the "user manual part" of
installed extensions for my editors.

So, yes, makes sense in my eyes to move it away from EM.

Kind regards

--
Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6