[TYPO3-doc] How to get all manuals?

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Sun Jun 24 21:15:47 CEST 2012

Hi François,

François Suter wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> I don't have the answer but I remember some discussion about that in the
>> ML to get all the docs at once. I also tried the command below but didn't
>> get any submodules.
>>
>> git clone --recursive git://git.typo3.org/Documentation/Manuals.git
>
> Indeed, this repository is currently empty. It was meant to be an
> umbrella for all other manuals and we thought about using submodules for
> this. But it turns that submodules *need* to have their index updated in
> order to be synchronized with the "parent" repository, which would be a
> hassle as what we want it a way to have all repositories up to date at
> any point. Someone mentioned what could be a solution using subtrees,
> but I'm not enough into Git to be sure.
>
> Maybe someone can help with this?

No, subtree merge is only a replacement for submodules, but without the
hassle to run git submodule update, etc.  after git pull or after clone.

You still need to manually sync the repositories.
It depends on the usecase which one to choose, submodules are better for
developers, because they get independent repositories; and subtree merge is
easier for the users, because the do not need to think about submodules.

For our problem, neither really fits and unless we use a cronjob (or
jenkins) to automatically update the submodule pointers, we should maybe
just provide a shell script that clones all repositories.
If the number of repositories does not change that often, we can maintain it
by hand.

I already have script to update (pull) all repositories with their
submodules and I could write a script to clone all as well.

Documentation – linkvalidator
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!