[TYPO3-doc] On-line services for extension manual

Fabien Udriot fabien.udriot at ecodev.ch
Mon Jun 18 21:04:53 CEST 2012

Hi,

I would like to communicate about my recent work towards on-line services for extension developers.
The underneath idea is to provide developers conveniences tools where they need minimum steps to get
their documentation rendered.

I have started to write a web page that could become a starting point for newcomers eventually:
http://preview.docs.typo3.org/getthedocs/

What is currently working:

* a web form to convert documentation: http://preview.docs.typo3.org/getthedocs/service-web.html
* a CLI tool - http://preview.docs.typo3.org/getthedocs/service-cli.html - that is able to:

  - convert reST documentation to various formats
  - convert legacy manual.sxw to reST files
  - fetch useful files for local rendering

To quickly test the on-line rendering, you could run the commands:

  # Download command
  curl -s http://preview.docs.typo3.org/getthedocs/get-the-docs.php > get-the-docs
  chmod 755 get-the-docs

  # Clone a documentation
  git clone git://git.typo3.org/Documentation/TYPO3/Tutorial/Typoscript45Minutes.git

  ./get-the-docs help
  ./get-the-docs render Typoscript45Minutes (-> don't be scared of the warnings which are "normal")

Important: I am planning to open a Forge project for hosting the code and rally community
contributions. For now, I called my CLI service "get-the-docs" but would be open for even cooler
name! Once the final name will be found, I will be creating the Git repository within our
infrastructure e.g "Documentation/GetTheDocs.git" . Code is temporarily hosted at
https://github.com/fudriot/GetTheDocs FYI.

Cheers,

Fabien

Ps. Pending task: "PDF" generation.