[TYPO3-doc] Organization for the next steps

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Fri Aug 3 06:49:12 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 3-8-2012 0:21, Fabien Udriot wrote:
>> The EM would gain the ability to view the raw ReST files in the TYPO3 BE,
>> in case people don't have an internet connection to view the manuals online.
>
> Couldn't be that the system grab the rendered HTML on-line and put it
> somewhere (e.g. typo3temp) for off-line reading. Reading regular web
> pages looks a bit more comfortable than Rest files (even though the
> format is human readable).

 From what François wrote in here and in the core list the ReST files
will not be displayed as is, but rendered (as HTML).
It is also important that a TYPO3 installation can work as a whole,
including documentation, if it's installed on a machine which has no
internet connection at all (isolated intranet servers) or limited access
(firewalls which only allow a TER connection). It may seem strange to
have such a situation, but I've encountered it quite often.

Alle core manuals are already rendered as HTML and/or PDF or another
widely available format. It is indeed a good idea IMO to include those
in the core. This is far easier to build.

Why not have the following in the core:
- PDF; local; single file with images
- HTML; online; possibly with comments when they become available

Rendering ReST format manuals is far easier than .sxw formats, so it
might even be an option to include the PDF and/or HTML formats in the
.t3x/.zip files in TER. People are used to a delay between uploading an
extension and the availability in TER. That delay can also be used to
render the manual.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 Core Team member