[TYPO3-doc] reST and PDF

Philipp Gampe typo3.lists at philippgampe.info
Mon Oct 17 09:24:54 CEST 2011

Fabien Udriot wrote:

> Actually, I was imagining we would have our own reST syntax / plugin for
> storing our TS reference. It looks more natural to have one unified syntax
> over an hybrid reST / XML structure, doesn't it? I don't know yet how easy
> it would be but I think we should give this path a chance - thinking more
> it will be re-use in the documentation of extensions.

If it is able to hold semantic information, reST might be easier. But keep
in mind that we do need to be able to know which (sub-) properties an
element has and which parent. If this is easily possible with reST, than I
am in favor of the reST version.
Also keep in mind that we will need inheritance to archive this (e.g. common
menu item states).
And we will need to have a long and a short description for t3editor (short)
and the homepage (long with examples, etc.).

I do not like the docbook version linked by Francois, but here is the
t3editor version:
http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v4-
core/repository/revisions/master/entry/typo3/sysext/t3editor/res/tsref/tsref.xml

Actually we might want to provide a service to convert such an XML into reST
for pasting it to the extension manual.

For TSref and TSconfig, I would prefer to have those on a webpage like the
PHP documentation with the option to download the whole reference as PDF.

Also extensions should be able to somehow indicate that they extent the TS
of another extension. You should be able to have code completion for
extensions too.

Best regards
--
Philipp Gampe