[TYPO3-doc] Share font

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Sat Jan 29 20:39:51 CET 2011

Hi Sabine,

Thanks for your feedback.

> the Share is a little difficult to compose but from my point of view it`s ok. When it is the official TYPO3 corporate font, it is important to apply it. But it may be applied sparingly. (only for the headlines)  I would never use it for main texts which have more than 2 lines. (e.g. the title page)

Yes, the Share font is not easy to use, but we just have to. I agree
that using it all over the title page is not ideal. The alternative is
to use the body text font (Baskervald). The point - of course - is to
avoid having too many different font in the same document.

> The bigger headlines I would set in roman style, the smaller ones don`t have enough "contrast" to the text yet. I would set them in bold style. Important is, to have always enough space between the headlines and the main text. This could be reduced a little, when the smaller headlines get "prominent" enough in relation to the main text. (would happen when set to bold)

So that fits the second version I proposed.

> Something else I want to say: In my opinion the Share and the Serif-Type for the main text don`t suit to each other very well. (What is the name of the main text font?) I know, it should be a open source typeface and it is so difficult to find a functional, good readable font for main text. May we can have a look for another one? Could it also be a sans serif font? Sans serif fonts are better readable on screens and they work good for printing too.
> Three things are important: The font for the main text should fit to the Share, it should be plain (no twirls or unnecessary ad-ons) and it needs to be absolutely well readable. I found a open source font which seems to be capable: The freeSans. I added a Screenshot of the font. What do you think about?

Maybe it's just that the Share font does not play well with any other
font :-/ The body text font is Baskervald and comes from a very
interesting foundry site: http://arkandis.tuxfamily.org/adffonts.html

Quite frankly I'm not ready to change font in the current template for
one main reason: as you know, we are moving to DocBook and that will
change the way manuals are rendered. The current template will form the
basis for discussion and can certain evolve then. But I don't what the
template to change now. We will have a design phase as part of the
DocBook project, so you will have a chance of suggesting improvements at
that point.

> It would be nice to have the bold style of the Share and the Office Template. So we could develop the typography together.

As said above, let's wait for the design phase of the DocBook project.
To get the whole Share package, see:

http://news.typo3.org/news/article/share/

As for your screenshot, it got stripped by the mailing list server.
Attachments are not allowed in this list. Can you post it somewhere and
give us the link?

BTW please reply to individual mails and not to the digest, as it breaks
conversation threads when using newsgroup readers (and clever mail
clients). You can log into your mailing list account to change your
settings in order to receive individual mails instead of digests.