[TYPO3-doc] DocBook: XML IDs // Linking between documents

Sebastian Kurfürst sebastian at typo3.org
Tue Apr 26 15:20:23 CEST 2011

Hey everybody,

While working through how links between documents should work for the
rendering process, I think we should decide on a naming scheme for IDs.

Right now, we have the following proposal:

ID of Book: typo3v4.guides.sample
typo3v4.guides.sample.introduction.about

ID of Book: typo3v4.core.tsref
typo3v4.core.tsref.function.stdWrap.setContentToCurrent

This would have the benefit of having global identifiers. Still, I'd
propose something different, as I suggest to use olinks [1] (which was
IMHO also the outcome of the recent discussion). Then, for referencing
another document, we need the "Document identifier" and the xml:id of
the other document. Thus, I'd propose the following naming scheme:

ID of Book: typo3v4.guides.sample
introduction.about

ID of Book: typo3v4.core.tsref
function.stdWrap.setContentToCurrent

This would shorten our IDs a little, and make them better readable; with
no downsides I think (as we'll use olinks)... And I think it is OK for
an author to distinguish between external and internal links.

Do you agree on this? :-)

Greets,
Sebastian

[1] http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/Olinking.html